11th Feb 2019

#PoweredByPhilanthropy

West Park in Jarrow

Friends of West Park in Jarrow

Grants from the Port of Tyne Community Action Fund and Vital South Tyneside Fund at the Community Foundation have helped the Friends of West Park Jarrow, a group of dedicated local volunteers, support the maintenance and improvement of its park. 

The Friends group is keen to promote the park and get other local people involved. Volunteers describe their work as ‘doing their bit’ for the environment, but also getting more people involved in community life by helping to make the park a great green space for all local people to enjoy and be proud of. Friends of West Park works with other local organisations to host events in the park which are attended by hundreds of people each year, and has been awarded a Green Flag award, which recognises and rewards well managed parks and green spaces.

Paul Moore, Chair of Friends of West Park said: 

“The grant was so beneficial to the group and helped us to buy a new laptop and tools to keep the park maintained. The volunteers are really proud of what they’ve achieved in the park. We’ve transformed the park over the last nine years from a park that people didn’t want to come into to a park that is now really well used by the community.”

West Park opened as a park for the people of Jarrow in 1876 and has a strong philanthropic history. It was gifted to the people of Jarrow by Sir Walter and Lady Northbourne James. The park is around 5.5 hectares and its features include a bandstand, bowling greens, multi-use games area, children’s play area, outdoor gym, wildlife area, outdoor classroom and floral displays.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required