Frequently asked questions
- Do you cover other parts of North East England?
- The majority of our work is in Tyne & Wear and Northumberland. Some projects and activities cover a wider area. There are separate community foundations for County Durham and the Tees Valley.
Applying to us
- Do I have to apply for a grant to each of your funds?
- No. You make one application and we will make sure it is considered under any relevant funds. Sometimes we have calls for applications for particular funds, which are publicised on our website and in our e-news.
- Do you have to be a registered charity to apply for a grant?
- No. Many small groups, like playgroups, are not registered with the Charity Commission. We will ask to see your accounts and your constitution. But providing the purpose of your grant is charitable, then you are welcome to apply.
- What is your link with the Henry Smith Charity?
- The Community Foundation assesses applications from projects in the North East to the Henry Smith Charity. If these projects are supported, we then manage the grants on behalf of the Charity.
Giving to us
- What does it cost to set up a fund at the Community Foundation?
- A minimum of £25,000 for a named endowment fund and £10,000 per year for named flow through fund. Acorn Funds are a special named endowment fund that you grow over time from as little as £65 a month plus Gift Aid. Click here for more information.
- Can I benefit from tax concessions on gifts?
- Yes. There are generous tax rebates and reliefs available, and we can claim gift aid on top of eligible donations. Click here for more information.
- How much do you charge? What are the costs?
- We charge a fee for the administration of your fund. This includes all administration, grant assessment and investment management. Click here for more information. The current standard fees are:
- 1.1% of market value of endowment Funds of £250,000 and over
- 1.35% of market value of endowment Funds under £250,000
- 1.35% of the market value of Acorn Funds
- 10% of flow through Funds
- Can I decide what my donation will support?
- You can set guidelines for a named fund and we will match applications to your wishes. You can also make recommendations on applications to support and to what level. The Community Foundation’s Board retains overall responsibility for managing donations and awarding grants in line with charity law and our own purpose and policies. Click here for more information.