Pages in this section
The Community Foundation was established in 1988 as a charity (number 700510) and limited company (number 2273708) to benefit communities particularly, although not exclusively, in Tyne & Wear and Northumberland.
Our vision is: ‘effective giving, thriving communities and enriched lives’.
Our purpose is to be the hub for community philanthropy in our area – inspiring and supporting giving that strengthens communities and enriches local life.
To do this we:
- Enable effective giving by people and business.
- Support organisations and individuals with money, time and expertise.
- Inform and influence issues affecting our communities.
You can download a summary of our three-year strategy here.
The Community Foundation is a membership organisation. Individuals, voluntary groups, businesses and public bodies in Tyne & Wear and Northumberland are all eligible to become members. Members elect and nominate representatives to sit on the Board.
Individuals, families and companies can set up a named philanthropic fund at the Community Foundation to support community needs we identify and/or particular causes that match donors’ interests. We match applications from groups and individuals to the funds we hold, and advise donors to ensure their giving is effective. We handle all the administration and ensure all gifts are tax efficient. Most funds are held within our endowment, which is invested to maximise resources for grant-making and operations now and in the future. The investment managers are: Investec Asset Management, UBS Wealth Management and Brewin Dolphin. We also manage ‘flow-through’ funds where donors give amounts annually.
In the financial year to March 2012, the Community Foundation managed £48.8m on behalf of more than 250 donor funds and awarded more than £4.6m in grants to over 1,600 local groups and individuals.
In all our work, we seek to:
- Advocate for disadvantaged people and less well supported causes.
- Reflect and involve our area’s diverse communities.
- Deliver the highest standards of customer service, transparency, accountability and independence.
- Promote giving that is rewarding, educational and enjoyable.
- Provide a creative and supportive environment for our staff, Board and volunteers.
- Build a lasting and growing resource for our area through our endowment.
- Contribute to tackling issues facing our communities arising from climate change.